Monday, July 13, 2015

Wordsmithing - My Timeless Goal


Writing. I need to get back to doing that. If I don’t, then not only do I waste the schooling that I have but I also don’t make any progress on what I actually want to do with my life. I like crafting stories and adventures. I just need to find the right ones to flesh out. I have a whole list of characters that could use some stories of their own, some of which are written and others that I haven’t yet come up with.

Why do I want to write? First and foremost, I enjoy it. I read. A lot. And as an avid reader, I love words and books. I love the images that come to mind by reading a string of words on a page of paper bound within the confines of two book covers. I love the escapism that happens when you read a good book. Your life, your issues and problems, everything gets forgotten as soon as you open the cover. It’s kind of liberating in a way, being able to forget about everything for that brief little while as you read.

Secondly, as touched upon in the first paragraph, I like crafting stories and adventures. I like seeing how my characters evolve and rise to the challenges that I place in front of them. When I wrote my story ‘The Traveler’ (coming soon to a blog near you), I honestly had no idea how it was going to end. The ending came just as much as a surprise to me as it did to the people who read the story.

When I first took a course in writing, I had an old co-worker tell me that I can “influence the way children think. You can be like a fucking god to them!” To some extent I agree. Though I can influence the way they think, I would rather challenge the way they think. But that’s not my goal and purpose. My goal is to entertain. I enjoy entertaining. Not so much in actions or verbally, but I enjoy entertaining people with written words and conjuring images in their minds. To quote GraphicAudio's tagline: “A movie in your mind”. If I am able to tell an entertaining story that draws you in, captivates you, and allows you to forget your own troubles for even a little while, than I have accomplished in my goal.

Sinceriously,


-Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment