Friday, April 3, 2015

Why Do We Fall?

“Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.”
~Alfred Pennyworth, Batman Begins
 Something most (not all, but most) Superheroes seem to have in common is a traumatic experience somewhere in their past. Batman witnessed his parents murdered in front of him. Superman was rocketed from a dying planet. Spider-Man’s uncle was gunned down by a thug. All traumatic experiences. And the only thing that made them heroes was how they dealt with the events.

Where do you go when the whole world seems to have turned on you? When nothing you do ever seems to go right? What do you do to get yourself out of that hole? That’s a question I’ve been asking myself a lot lately. Where do I go from here? Unfortunately I don’t have concrete answers, only thoughts. And I need to have the will to work on them.

I need to create new hobbies and routines for myself, that’s for sure. Hobbies that fit inside and further Operation: Superhero. Activities that help me to be all that I can be, both physically and mentally. Routines that promote a healthier and balanced lifestyle. And I’m not going to lie, those things have been eluding me for a long time. I get so over-zealous when I start out, but it just kind of fades away after a while. I need to work on that.

I need to read more. Reading has always been my number one go-to for EVERYTHING, good times, bad times, every time in between. I need to get back into reading. And writing as well. I need to write more stories, not just these blog posts. I need to do more of what I enjoy and what brings me pleasure and happiness. I just need to rediscover all of those wonderful things.

I need to spend more time with friends outside of work. Recently a group of us went bowling and I had a lot of fun. I need to do more things like that. Activities and outings that get me out of the house and socializing with the people that mean something to me.

I need to stop dwelling on the past. What’s done is done. There’s no turning around and going back. It’s time to put on my boots, grab my bag and start making a new trail. Maybe camping or a road-trip will help sort some things out. Something where no one can reach me for a little bit and I can learn to rely on myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment